5th Annual Rocky Mountain Economic Summit
Date: Friday, July 12, 2013
Jackson Hole Center for the Arts, 265 Cache Street, Jackson, WY 83001
Join GIC in Jackson Hole this summer!
- Can Europe shed “zombie” status?
- Re-Priced Wealth is not Increased Wealth
- Recent Developments in Monetary Policy
- Presentation by Michael Drury
- David Kotok’s Report from Jackson Hole
- Greg Valliere Comments on Summit Discussions
- Assessing Monetary Policy
- Presentation by W. David Hemingway
- Quantitative Easing: What International Capital Markets Reveal
5th Annual Rocky Mountain Economic Summit
9 – 9:15 a.m. | Welcoming Remarks
- Tyler Norton, Partner, Hyde-Norton Group
- Emcee David Kotok, CIO, Cumberland Advisors and GIC Vice Chair of the Central Banking Series
9:15 – 10:30 a.m. | Economic Outlook Panel
- Paul McCulley, Chairman, GIC Global Society of Fellows
- Julian Callow, Chief International Economist, Barclays
- Catherine Mann, Barbara and Richard M. Rosenberg Professor of Global Finance, Brandeis University and GIC Board Member
- Moderator George Tsetsekos, Dean Emeritus of Drexel University’s LeBow College of Business and GIC Board Chair
10:30 – 10:45 a.m. | Coffee Break
10:45 – 11:45 a.m. | Bankers Panel
- Axel Weber, Chairman of UBS, former President of Deutsche Bundesbank and visiting professor, Booth School of Business at the University of Chicago
- W. David Hemingway, Executive Vice President and Chief Investment Officer, Zions Bancorporation
- Moderator Charles Silverman, EVP & Group Head Global Financial Institutions, Wells Fargo & GIC Board Member
11:45 a.m. – 12:45 p.m. | Lunch
12:45 – 2 p.m. | Federal Reserve Bank Panel
- Charles Plosser, President, Federal Reserve Bank of Philadelphia
- Jim Bullard, President, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis
- Moderator Bill Dunkelberg, Chief Economist, National Federation of Independent Business & GIC Board Member
2 – 2:15 p.m. | Break
2:15 – 4 p.m. | Investment Panel
- Michael Drury, Chief Economist, McVean Trading & Investments & GIC Vice Chair of Programs
- Steve Sexauer, Chief Investment Officer, Allianz Global Investors Solutions & GIC Board Member
- Kozo Koide, Chief Economist, DIAM Co Ltd.
- Martin Barnes, Chief Economist, BCA Research
- Moderator J. Paul Horne, Independent International Market Economist & GIC Board Member
4 – 4:15 p.m. | Closing Remarks
- David Kotok, CIO, Cumberland Advisors and GIC Vice Chair of the Central Banking Series
A networking event sponsored by Rolls Royce, which includes cocktails and hor d’oeuvres, will begin at 7 p.m. and will feature Governor Matt Mead of Wyoming.
James Bullard, Ph.D.President and CEO of the Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis
James “Jim” Bullard is the president and CEO of the Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis. In that role, he is a participant on the Federal Reserve’s Federal Open Market Committee (FOMC), which meets regularly to set the direction of U.S. monetary policy. He also oversees the Federal Reserve’s Eighth District, including activities at the St. Louis headquarters and its branches in Little Rock, Ark., Louisville, Ky., and Memphis, Tenn.
Charles I. Plosser, Ph.D.Board Member, FINRA and Former President and CEO, Federal Reserve Bank of Philadelphia
Dr. Charles Plosser was president and chief executive officer of the Federal Reserve Bank of Philadelphia. In this role, he participated on the Federal Reserve System's Federal Open Market Committee, which is responsible for conducting our nation's monetary policy. He currently serves on the FINRA Board of Governors.
Axel A. WeberChairman of the Board of Directors, UBS Group AG
Axel A. Weber was elected to the Board of Directors (BoD) of UBS AG at the 2012 AGM and of UBS Group AG in November 2014. He is Chairman of the BoD of both UBS AG and UBS Group AG. He has chaired the Governance and Nominating Committee since 2012 and became Chairperson of the Corporate Culture and Responsibility Committee in 2013.
Martin BarnesChief Economist, BCA Research
Martin Barnes is the chief economist at BCA Research. He joined BCA Research in late 1987 and for 18 years he was responsible for The Bank Credit Analyst, the company’s highly respected flagship service.
Julian CallowEconomist, Element Capital Management
Julian Callow is Managing Director responsible for European and Chinese economic research at Element Capital LLC. Prior to that he was a Managing Director for Research at Barclays, including being Chief European Economist (2003-2012) & Chief Global Economist (2012-2014). He was also Chief Eurozone Economist at Credit Suisse (1999-03), & has also worked as an economist at Dresdner Kleinwort Benson, Chase (1990-92) & the Bank of England (1987-90).
Michael DruryChief Economist, McVean Trading & Investments
Michael Drury is the chief economist for McVean Trading & Investments, LLC. He joined the firm in 1992, after serving for five years as senior economist with Allen Sinai at Shearson Lehman Brothers and its successor firms. Michael began his career in New York in 1982 as senior economist at A. Gary Shilling and Company. He received his B.S. in economics from the Georgia Institute of Technology and did his graduate work at the University of Wisconsin-Madison.
Bill Dunkelberg, Ph.D.Chief Economist, National Federation of Independent Business (NFIB)
William Dunkelberg is professor emeritus of economics in the College of Liberal Arts, Temple University, where he served as dean of the School of Business and Management from 1987 through 1994 and as director of the Center for the Advancement and Study of Entrepreneurship. He served as the Global Interdependence Center’s Chairman for 20 years.
W. David HemingwayExecutive Vice President and Chief Investment Officer of Zions Bancorporation
W. David Hemingway is Executive Vice President and Chief Investment Officer of Zions Bancorporation and Executive Vice President of Zions First National Bank.
J. Paul HorneIndependent International Economist & GIC Board Member
Paul Horne is an active independent international market economist since retiring as a managing director and European equity market economist at Salomon Smith Barney/Citigroup in London. He is on the boards of the Global Interdependence Center in Philadelphia; the Committee for the Republic in Washington, DC; and the American Library of Paris Foundation.
Kozo KoideAsset Management One Co. Ltd
Kozo Koide is the Chief Economist at Asset Management One Co. Ltd., which is the largest Japanese asset management company with about 52 trillion yen (approximately 505 billion US$) assets under its management in October 2016.
David KotokChief Investment Officer of Cumberland Advisors
David Kotok co-founded Cumberland Advisors in 1973 and has been its Chief Investment Officer since inception. David’s articles and financial market commentaries have appeared in the New York Times, the Wall Street Journal, Barron’s, and other publications. He is a frequent contributor to Bloomberg TV and Bloomberg Radio, Yahoo Finance TV, and other media.
Catherine L. Mann, Ph.D.Member of the Monetary Policy Committee, Bank of England
Dr Catherine L Mann joined the Monetary Policy Committee of the Bank of England on 1 September 2021. She is a member of the Council on Foreign Relations and the American Economic Association, among others. Previously she was Chair of the Economic Advisory Committee of the American Bankers Association.
Paul McCulleySenior Fellow, Financial Macroeconomics, Cornell Law School's Jack G. Clarke Program on the Law and Regulation of Financial Institutions and Markets
Paul McCulley is Senior Fellow in Financial Macroeconomics for Cornell Law School’s Jack G. Clarke Program on the Law and Regulation of Financial Institutions and Markets. Prior, he was the Chief Economist and Managing Director at PIMCO where he served as a member of the Investment Committee in Newport Beach, and authoring the publication, Macro Perspectives.
Tyler NortonFounder and CEO, Hero Partners
Tyler Norton is founder of Hero Partners and a founding partner of The Hyde-Norton Group. Tyler has 17 years of experience in the risk management and financial services industry, including 9 years of executive leadership with Beneficial Financial Group where he served as vice president, senior vice president and chief distribution officer.
Stephen SexauerChief Investment Officer, The San Diego County Employees Retirement Association
Stephen Sexauer is SDCERA’s Chief Investment Officer and oversees SDCERA’s $14 billion Trust Fund, investment team, and investment consultants. In addition to the day-to-day operation of SDCERA’s Investment Division, he also assists SDCERA’s Board with determining the Fund’s investment policies, strategy and asset allocation.
George Tsetsekos, Ph.D.Francis Professor of Finance and Dean Emeritus Drexel’s LeBow College of Business
Dr. George Tsetsekos, serves as the Francis professor of Finance and Director of the Risk Management Center at the LeBow College of Business. He served as Dean of LeBow (2002-2012) and under his transformative leadership the college achieved national rankings and quality milestones in research and teaching.