GIC is partnering with LeBow College of Business on conference to explore the aftermath of the Euro debt crisis in 2010-2016.
April 1, 2019
TWEET: Join @interdependence at @LeBow on 2/28 to discuss Ireland, Portugal, and Cyprus’ Sovereign Debt Restructurings. Register here: http://bit.ly/2De1yQH
Sovereign Debt Distress, Restructurings and Market Access: The Cases of Ireland, Portugal, and Cyprus: During the Euro debt crisis in 2010-2016, Ireland, Portugal, and Cyprus, along with Greece, were not able to cover all their financing needs in financial markets through medium- and long-term bond financing, or at a sustainable cost, for varying time periods. However, economic adjustment programs, which included measures to strengthen their banking sectors, and the creation of a Euro area crisis-resolution framework (EFSF and ESM) helped these countries regain investor confidence and full market access. This conference will address the main causes and policy responses of Ireland, Portugal, and Cyprus to their individual debt distress situations, discuss various market, legal, and policy perspectives on each of these distress and restructuring cases, and distill lessons for successfully overcoming debt distresses and regaining access to capital markets.
- Tamon Asonuma, Economist, IMF
- Lee Buchheit, Senior Partner in the Sovereign Practice Group, Cleary Gottlieb Steen & Hamilton LLP
- Elena Duggar, Chair Macroeconomic Board, Moody’s Investor Services
- Aitor Erce, Principal Economist, ESM
- Richard Francis, Director, Fitch Ratings
- Hans Humes, Chairman and Chief Executive Officer, Greylock Capital
- Thordur Jonasson, Deputy Division Chief, IMF
- Steven Kargman, President, Kargman Associates
- Rafael M. Molina, Managing Partner, Newstate Partners
- Kristian Orsini, Counselor, Economic and Financial Affairs, EU
Delegation to USA
- Michael G. Papaioannou, Expert Advisor, International Monetary Fund
- Konstantinos Polykarpou, Consul, Embassy of the Republic of Cyprus
- George Tsetsekos, Ph.D., Dean Emeritus and the Francis Professor of Finance at LeBow’s College of Business at Drexel University
Thursday, February 28, 2018 | 8:30 a.m. – 1:00 p.m.
WHERE: LeBow College of Business, Drexel University, Gerri C. LeBow Hall, 220 DiPiero Grand Meeting Room
(Address: 3220 Market Street Philadelphia, PA 19104)
Contact: To register for this event or for more information please contact Colleen Murphy, Manager of Marketing and Communications, at [email protected] or 215-238-0990.
About the Global Interdependence Center: The Global Interdependence Center (GIC) is a Philadelphia-based nonprofit organization that seeks to stimulate thoughtful, global dialogue on a wide range of issues that affect the international community, including economics, health care and government. GIC convenes conferences and roundtable discussions, both domestically and internationally, to identify and address emerging global issues. For more information, visit GIC’s website at www.interdependence.org