Energy Interdependence in the Western Hemisphere
Date: Thursday, November 5, 2015 - Friday, November 6, 2015
Federal Reserve Bank of Philadelphia, Boehne Auditorium
100 N. 6th Street
Philadelphia, PA 19106
Registration has closed for this event. Please note that GIC will be unable to accommodate day-of registrations or walk-ins. Thank you for your cooperation in this matter.
- Richard Daskin – MLPs and other Financial Instruments
- Mine K. Yucel - Low Energy Price Environment
- Matthew J. Thomas - America's Energy Revolution
- John R. Mousseau - Energy Pricing and Impact on State Credit Risks
- Carlos Giralt Cabrales - Mexico's Structural Reform on Energy
- Richard S. Dovey - CNG as a Viable Transportation Fuel Alternative
- Sabrina Spatari - Energy Applications, New Products, and New Risks
- Eric Bradley - Energy Transition in North America
Energy Interdependence in the Western Hemisphere
IMCA has accepted this event for 2 hours of CE credit towards the CIMA®, CIMC® and CPWA® certifications. You may report this CE program online by logging into your My IMCA account at www.imca.org/user. Detailed reporting instructions can be found at http://www.imca.org/pages/onlinereporting. When reporting online, leave the provider name field blank and fill in the program ID# 15GIC009 and date attended fields only.
- Peter A. Gold, Esq., Conference Chair, Vice Board Chair GIC, Principal, TheGoldGroup,LLC.
- Patrick T. Harker, President and CEO, Federal Reserve Bank of Philadelphia
8:45 Session I: TODAY’S NATIONAL AND REGIONAL ENERGY STAGE
- Mine Yucel, Senior Vice President and Director of Research, Federal Reserve Bank of Dallas (Low energy price environment: How we got here, what are the impacts, what to expect going forward)
- Craig L. Adams, Executive Vice President, Exelon and President and CEO, PECO (Energy and Utility Strategic Opportunities and Challenges)
- Moderator: Edward Salmon, Chairman, Salmon Ventures Limited, President National Association of Regulatory Utility Commissioners Emeritus, Chair New Jersey Energy Coalition
9:15 Session II: THE U.S. EAST COAST ENERGY HUB
- Philip Rinaldi, Principal Partner and Chief Executive Officer, Philadelphia Energy Solutions (Priorities in Building a Philadelphia-East Coast U.S. Regional Energy “Hub”)
- Introduction by: Martin Heldring, Senior Vice President and Managing Director of TD Bank, N.A. and GIC Board Treasurer
9:45 Session III: ENERGY TRANSPORTATION (Pipe, Rail, Truck, Ship, Fuels): INFRASTRUCTURES
- Matthew Thomas, Esquire, Partner, Blank Rome, LLP, Specializing in the Maritime and Energy, Petrochemical & Natural Resources Industries (America’s Energy Revolution – Recent Developments and Trends in Ocean Shipping)
- Dennis Rochford, President, Maritime Exchange for the Delaware River and Bay (Energy Shipping on the Delaware-What’s Happening Today and A Look at Tomorrow)
- Jay Borkland, Vice President & Principal, Apex Companies (Opportunity at the Corner of Environment and Infrastructure)
- Hank Alexander, Vice President Business Development, Sunoco Logistics (Pipelines, Markets and Economic Opportunities)
- Moderator: Stephen P. Mullin, President, Econsult Solutions
11:00 Session IV: The IMPACT (S) of PUBLIC POLICY and THE REGULATORY ENVIRONMENTS
- Michael L. Krancer, Esquire, Chair Energy Industry Team, Blank Rome, LLP, former Secretary PA Dept. of Environmental Protection (Impacts of Public Policy and Regulatory Environments on Energy Companies, particularly the Mid-Steam Sector)
- James Lucier, Managing Director, Capital Alpha Partners (Washington, D.C. Policy Issues and the Impact on Energy Trade and Expansion of Infrastructure)
- Joseph Hughes, Dean, College of Engineering, Distinguished University Professor, Drexel University and Drexel Institute for Energy and the Environment (New Energy Skills- What Are the Energy Jobs for Next 5 to 10 Years? The Roles of Educational Institutions in Building a Philadelphia Regional U.S. East Coast Energy Hub)
- Moderator: Cristina Jorge Schwarz, PG, Oil & Gas Program Manager, Apex Companies, LLC
11:45 Session V: FINANCIAL IMPACTS of NEW ENERGY PRICING AND TRADE PATTERNS
- Richard Daskin, MLP Strategy Subadvisor to Cumberland Advisors and CIO, RSD Advisors – (MLPs and other Financial Instruments; What Are They; Why are they Attractive to Investors; Optimal Cost of Capital for Issuers and Risks)
- John R. Mousseau, CFA, Executive Vice President, and Director of Fixed Income, Cumberland Advisors -(Energy Pricing and Impact on State Credit Risks)
- Erik P. Gilje, Ph.D, Finance, Assistant Professor, The Wharton School, University of Pennsylvania – (Drilling and energy asset pricing: the economic benefits and risks of the Shale “Revolution”)
- Moderator: Domenic D’Ginto, CFA, Senior Vice President PNC Corporate Finance and GIC Board Member
1:15 Introduction by Kibui Pyron, Senior Foreign Policy and Diplomacy Officer, Consulate General of Canada, New York
1:15 Session VI: ENERGY IN THE WESTERN HEMISPHERE: REGIONAL, NATIONAL, and GLOBAL IMPLICATIONS
- Honorable Carlos Giralt Cabrales, Consul of Mexico in Philadelphia
- Ray Ritcey, Chief Executive Officer, The Canadian Maritimes Energy Association
- Anthony Yuen, Director Commodities Strategy, Citi Group – (The role(s) of U.S. in energy trade among western hemisphere countries. Energy Price Volatility, Impacts on Development of Energy Infrastructure and the Industry)
- Moderator: Philippa Dunne, co-editor of The Liscio Report and Sightlines Bulletin and GIC Board Member
2:15 Session VII: NEW ENERGY OPPORTUNITIES, USES & RISKS
- Richard Dovey, President, Atlantic County Utilities Authority – (Compressed Natural Gas —CNG—as a viable transportation fuel alternative and ACUA’s use of CNG)
- Sabrina Spatari, Ph.D., P.Eng. Associate Professor, Drexel University and faculty Drexel University, Institute for Energy and the Environment – (Energy applications, new products and new risks)
- Eric Bradley, Senior Vice President of Strategy, Investments, Regulatory and Communications, GDF Suez (The energy transition in North America: natural gas/LNG, distributed solar, batteries, digital applications)
- Moderator: Jeff Healy, VP, AIG Investments, Fixed Income Research
3:00 CLOSING COMMENTS
Peter A. Gold, Esq., Event Chair, Vice Board Chair GIC, Principal, TheGoldGroup,LLC.
To download a pdf of the flyer with the full agenda, click here.
Craig L. AdamsExecutive Vice President, Exelon and President and CEO, PECO
Craig Adams is responsible for leadership of PECO’s overall performance associated with service reliability, customer satisfaction, financial management, and regulatory and external affairs.
Hank AlexanderVice President Business Development, Sunoco Logistics
Hank Alexander, Vice President Business Development, has had a long and successful career with Sunoco Logistics. Mr. Alexander progressed through Sunoco Logistics in a variety of engineering and operations roles.
Jay A. BorklandVice President and Principal, Apex Companies, LLC
Jay A. Borkland, PG, is a vice president and principal at Apex Companies, LLC, where he functions as director of Global Waterways and Emerging Energy Programs. Additionally, he is a senior lecturer at Northeastern University’s College of Professional Studies where he teaches courses in environmental and engineering studies.
Eric BradleySenior Vice President, Strategy, ENGIE in North America
Eric Bradley is Senior Vice President for Engie in North America. He is responsible for strategy, acquisitions and investment analysis, regulatory and communications for Engie’s natural gas infrastructure, centralized power and electricity retail businesses in the United States, Canada and Mexico.
Richard DaskinCIO, RSD Advisors and Research and Valuation Sub Advisor, Cumberland Advisors
Richard Daskin, CFA, CFP®, became the research and valuation sub advisor for the MLP strategy at Cumberland in 2013. In addition he is the CIO for RSD Advisors, LLC a registered investment advisor based in New York City. As part of his RIA practice he has been researching and investing in higher yield assets, including Master Limited Partnerships for clients. Mr. Daskin has over 30 years experience on both the "buy" and "sell" side of Wall Street in fixed income and investment management and has been a research analyst, trader, portfolio manager, and salesperson.
Domenic D’GintoBoard Member, GIC
Mr. D’Ginto was conferred the Chartered Financial Analyst (CFA) designation in 1998, and holds an MBA and a bachelor’s degree in finance from Villanova University. Mr. D’Ginto is a past president of the CFA Society of Philadelphia, where he also served as the treasurer and as the committee co-chair for Education and Community Outreach […]
Richard S. DoveyPresident, Atlantic County Utilities Authority
Richard S. Dovey is president of the Atlantic County Utilities Authority (ACUA), a position he has held since 1990. Mr. Dovey oversees a staff of 250, an annual operating budget of $60 million and a capital budget averaging $5 million yearly.
Philippa DunneCo-Editor, The Liscio Report and Sightlines Bulletin
Philippa Dunne is co-editor of two independent macro-economic newsletters: The Liscio Report, with a trading focus, and Sightlines Bulletin, which takes a longer perspective.
Erik GiljeAssistant Professor, Finance at The Wharton School at the University of Pennsylvania
Erik Gilje is an assistant professor of finance at The Wharton School at the University of Pennsylvania. His research focus is on financial institutions, empirical corporate finance, and energy finance.
Honorable Carlos I. Giralt-CabralesConsul of Mexico in Philadelphia
Since August 20th, 2010, Carlos I. Giralt-Cabrales has served as the Consul of Mexico in Philadelphia.
Peter A. Gold, Esq.Principal, TheGoldGroup LLC
Peter A. Gold, Esquire is the founder and president of TheGoldGroup, LLC ( www.thegoldgrp.com). The consultancy brings businesses, colleges and universities, governments and not-for-profits together to create value, seize new opportunities, leverage assets, and reduce exposure to the risks created by today’s global economy principally through identifying “high value” initiatives and stakeholders in new institutes, centers of excellence and other initiatives. TheGoldGroup, LLC assists its clients to obtain their individual objectives better, quicker and in a more cost effective and efficient manner.
Patrick T. HarkerPresident and Chief Executive Officer, Federal Reserve Bank of Philadelphia
Patrick T. Harker took office on July 1, 2015, as the 11th president and chief executive officer of the Federal Reserve Bank of Philadelphia. In this role, Dr. Harker participates on the Federal Open Market Committee, which formulates the nation’s monetary policy.
Jeff HealyVP, AIG Investments, Fixed Income Research
Jeff joined AIG Investments in October 2010 as a research analyst covering the energy and utility industries. Prior to joining AIG, he was a global corporate bond portfolio manager for Prudential Financial, specializing in energy, pipelines, and non-dollar bonds.
Martin HeldringSenior Vice President and Managing Director, TD Bank
E. Martin Heldring, senior vice president and managing director of TD Bank, N.A, joined GIC’s board of directors in 2008. Prior to his current position, he was president and CEO of Harris – Glencoe.
Joseph Hughes, Ph.D.Dean, Drexel University College of Engineering
Joseph Hughes, Ph.D., is the dean of the College of Engineering and founding director of the A.J. Drexel Institute for Energy and the Environment. His background is in biological processes and applications of nanotechnology in environmental systems.
Cristina Jorge SchwarzOil & Gas Program Manager, Apex Companies LLC
Cristina Jorge Schwarz, PG has 17 years of professional experience, currently serving as an environmental consultant to industrial, oil & gas, petrochemical, and commercial clients; she began her career in the industrial coatings manufacturing sector.
Michael KrancerChair of the Energy Industry Team, Blank Rome
Michael Krancer, chair of the energy industry team at Blank Rome, is an experienced and well-known policy and substantive thought leader in energy development and deployment. He is an experienced and valued advisor to U.S. and global energy companies of all types regarding the full range of legal, public policy, government relations, state and federal regulatory, financial, corporate, and labor matters with his more than 20 years of energy industry and public policy experience at the highest corporate and policy-making levels.
James LucierManaging Director, Capital Alpha Partners
James Lucier is a managing director at Capital Alpha, where he leads the energy, environmental, & tax practices. Lucier provides predictive, insightful analysis of trends in Washington energy and climate policy for an array of clients including asset managers, private equity investors, commodity traders, and investment bankers.
John MousseauPresident, Chief Executive Officer & Director of Fixed Income, Cumberland Advisors
John Mousseau is currently the President, Chief Executive Officer, and Director of Fixed Income at Cumberland Advisors. In this capacity, John also serves as a portfolio manager and has overall responsibility for portfolio construction, management, analysis, trading, and research for all tax-free and taxable bond accounts. His comments and analyses have appeared in The Bond Buyer, Barron’s, the Wall Street Journal, Bloomberg, Forbes, the Philadelphia Inquirer, and the New York Times.
Stephen P. MullinPresident, Econsult Solutions, Inc.
Stephen P. Mullin is president of Econsult Solutions, Inc. His consulting practice concentrates on state and local public finance and policy analysis, tax policy analysis, and economic and real estate development and impact analyses.
Philip RinaldiCEO, Philadelphia Energy Solutions
Philip Rinaldi is the founding partner, chairman and chief executive officer of Philadelphia Energy Solutions LLC. His career focus is finding good but undervalued businesses in the energy, chemical and natural resource industries; acquiring those targets with partner groups tailored to the specific situation; and then leading the development of these businesses through to their maturity.
Ray RitceyChief Executive Officer, The Maritimes Energy Association
Ray Ritcey has over 35 years’ experience in the energy industry in Canada. He has held executive positions in both the natural gas and electric industries working with such industry leaders as TransCanada Pipelines, Ontario Hydro, Enbridge and AltaGas. He is currently a Commissioner on the Board of Directors for Halifax Water.
Dennis RochfordPresident, Maritime Exchange for the Delaware River and Bay
Dennis Rochford is president of the Maritime Exchange for the Delaware River and Bay, a non-profit trade association serving port businesses throughout Pennsylvania, New Jersey and Delaware. In addition to managing the association’s staff and overseeing the development of the port community’s automation network, Mr. Rochford represents the regional port community to government officials in Washington, D.C.; Harrisburg, Pennsylvania; Trenton, N.J.; and Dover, Delaware, concerning a range of key issues critical to the success of the Delaware River regional port complex.
Dr. Edward H. SalmonChairman, Salmon Ventures, Ltd., President National Association of Regulatory Utility Commissioners Emeritus, Chair New Jersey Energy Coalition
Dr. Salmon has served as a coach, teacher, Mayor, County Freeholder, State Assemblyman and President of the NJ Board of Public Utilities. Recently he received a Doctor of Humane Letters from Thomas Edison State College for his lifetime of work as an “untiring civic activist, philanthropist and humanitarian.”
Sabrina SpatariAssistant Professor, Department of Civil, Environmental and Architectural Engineering, Drexel University
Dr. Sabrina Spatari’s research and expertise focuses on the development and application of life cycle assessment (LCA) and other systems analysis methods for guiding engineering decision making and public policy.
Matthew J. ThomasPartner, Blank Rome
Matthew J. Thomas has more than twenty years of experience in maritime and international trade regulation and government affairs, representing leading shipowners, energy and trading companies, ports, P&I clubs, shipyards, and marine terminal operators.
Mine K. Yücel, Ph.D.Senior Vice President and Senior Research Advisor, Federal Reserve Bank of Dallas
Mine K. Yücel is Senior Vice President and Senior Research Advisor at the Federal Reserve Bank of Dallas. She has been with the Bank since 1989 and has been head of the Bank's micro/regional/energy group and director of publications for many years. Yücel analyzes the regional economy and energy markets on an ongoing basis and has published numerous articles on energy and regional growth.
Anthony Yuen, Ph.D.Global Energy Strategist and Head of Global Macro and Quantitative Research, Citigroup
Anthony Yuen, Ph.D., is global energy strategist and also leads global macro and quantitative research within the commodities strategy group at Citigroup. He conducts research on oil, gas, power, coal, renewables and emissions, and has published on the US shale revolution, gas and oil exports, nuclear in Japan, peak coal in China, Russia-China gas and climate issues, among others.